The utilization of technology has brought numerous benefits to seniors, including the ability to stay connected with their loved ones, manage their health more effectively, and enjoy entertainment. With the advent of smartphones, many apps for seniors enhance their quality of life.
Discover the best apps for seniors
Apps have revolutionized how older Americans can access crucial health information, entertainment, social connections, transportation, and financial tools. Health-related apps can help seniors track their medication schedules, monitor their blood pressure, and record their daily exercise routines.
Entertainment apps can provide older adults access to movies, TV shows, e-books, and games from the comfort of their homes. Social apps allow seniors to connect with family and friends, join online communities, and participate in group activities.
Transportation apps can give older Americans access to ridesharing services and public transit schedules. Lastly, financial apps can help seniors manage their finances, track expenses, and pay bills on time. Overall, apps have the potential to improve the quality of life for seniors significantly.
Health and fitness apps
There are many apps available that can help seniors track their health and fitness goals. These apps offer a variety of exercises to improve balance, flexibility, and strength, which are essential for maintaining good health at an older age. These apps can help seniors stay motivated and informed about their health and fitness, leading to a happier and healthier lifestyle.
Best exercise apps
- Fitnotes (iPhone and Andriod)
- Nike run club (iPhone and Andriod)
- Jefit (iPhone and Andriod)
- Apple Fitness+ (iPhone)
- JustFit (iPhone and Andriod)
Best health apps
- ShopWell (iPhone and Andriod)
- iBP (iPhone and Andriod)
- Pill monitor (iPhone)
- Medisafe (iPhone and Andriod)
- CareClinic (iPhone and Andriod)
In today’s technological age, entertainment options are vast and readily available at our fingertips. These apps are specifically designed to cater to the needs of seniors and promote healthy aging. With these apps, seniors can stay entertained, engaged, and mentally sharp while enjoying the convenience of technology.
Apps such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video provide users access to many movies, TV shows, and documentaries.
Additionally, brain training and memory apps for seniors offer games that stimulate the brain and improve cognitive function. Lumosity and Elevate are two apps that offer games to improve memory, attention, and problem-solving skills.
Best TV and music apps
- Netflix (iPhone and Andriod)
- Hulu (iPhone and Andriod)
- Pluto TV (iPhone and Andriod)
- Spotify (iPhone and Andriod)
- Apple TV+ (iPhone)
Best gaming apps
- Solitaire (iPhone and Andriod)
- Words with Friends (iPhone and Andriod)
- Trivia 360 (iPhone and Andriod)
- Lumosity (iPhone and Andriod)
- Elevate (iPhone and Andriod)
Social media apps
It’s common for seniors to feel isolated and disconnected from those around them. Fortunately, technology can help bridge the gap and allow seniors to stay connected with family and friends.
Additionally, many apps offer simplified interfaces and larger font sizes, making them more accessible to seniors struggling with technology.
Social media apps such as Facebook and Instagram enable seniors to easily share updates, photos, and messages with loved ones.
Video calling apps such as Skype and Zoom take this a step further by allowing seniors to see and hear their loved ones in real-time, making them feel more connected and supported.
These apps can be a valuable tool in combating loneliness and improving the quality of life for seniors.
Best social media apps
- Facebook (iPhone and Andriod)
- Facebook Messenger (iPhone and Andriod)
- Instagram (iPhone and Andriod)
- Pinterest (iPhone and Andriod)
- Skype (iPhone and Andriod)
- Zoom (iPhone and Andriod)
- Facetime (iPhone)
As seniors age, their ability to navigate transportation may become more complex, but fortunately, some apps can help.
These apps also provide real-time tracking of the driver’s location and estimated arrival time. In addition to ride-sharing apps, seniors can benefit from apps that offer information about public transportation.
These apps provide detailed information about bus and subway schedules and can help seniors plan their routes and navigate unfamiliar areas. These transportation apps allow seniors to remain independent and connected to their communities.
Best transportation apps
- Google Maps (iPhone and Andriod)
- Curb (iPhone and Andriod)
- Waze (iPhone and Andriod)
- Transit (iPhone and Andriod)
- Citymapper (iPhone and Andriod)
Best ridesharing apps
Many older Americans are forgoing the expense of owning their own cars and deferring to ridesharing apps.
These rideshare companies have changed the way we use transportation, and it’s a safe, inexpensive, and convenient way for seniors to get around.
Both Lyft and Uber have special accommodation selections for seniors and even have contracts with some doctor’s offices to provide transportation to and from appointments.
- Uber (iPhone and Andriod)
- Lyft (iPhone and Andriod)
Managing finances can become increasingly challenging for seniors. Fortunately, there are several apps available that can help older adults stay on top of their finances.
These apps provide seniors with a simple and efficient way to keep track of their finances, pay bills, and make investments, all from the comfort of their own homes.
PayPal and Zelle allow for convenient bill payments and money transfers, while Robinhood offers investment features for those interested in managing their portfolios.
Mint and Acorns are two popular apps that offer financial management tools, including budget tracking, bill reminders, and investment tracking. Seniors need to stay financially organized, and these apps make it possible to do so in a user-friendly manner.
Best finance apps for seniors
- PayPal (iPhone and Andriod)
- Zelle (iPhone and Andriod)
- Robinhood (iPhone and Andriod)
- Mint (iPhone and Andriod)
- Acorns (iPhone and Andriod)
Final thoughts on the best apps for seniors
Using apps can significantly benefit older adults by simplifying tasks and providing easy access to information. Apps can help seniors stay connected with friends and family, manage medications, track fitness goals, and even offer brain stimulation through games and puzzles.
However, selecting user-friendly apps that meet seniors’ specific needs is essential. Complex apps with difficult navigation can lead to frustration and discourage usage. Seniors should look for apps with clear instructions, large font sizes, and intuitive designs.
- 10 Tips for Frugal Retirement Living
- Best Gifts for Elderly Parents
- What’s the 2023 Social Security Payment Schedule?
- Better Medicare Alliance
- Top 10 Gifts for New Grandmothers
- Medicare’s What’s Covered App
- Save Money and Live Better in Retirement
- Laws Against Taking Advantage of the Elderly
- Top Hobbies for Seniors
- The Top 5 Tips for Long-Distance Grandparenting
- Medicare Coverage for Telemedicine & Telehealth
- How Medicare Beneficiaries Use Technology to Improve Their Lives