There are currently around 480,000 Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in Original Medicare in Birmingham, Alabama. Of those enrollees, about 48% are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan. The remaining 52% either stayed with just Part A & Part B or enrolled in a Medigap and/or Part D plan. Below we’ll go over what supplemental Medicare plans are available in Birmingham in 2022.
Supplemental Medicare Plans in Birmingham, Alabama
Most Medicare beneficiaries choose to enroll in some sort of supplemental Medicare plan to help them cover out-of-pocket costs. You can enroll in either a Medigap plan or Medicare Advantage plan to supplement Part A & Part B.
If you enroll in Medigap, you can enroll in a stand-alone Part D plan to cover the prescriptions you pick up at the pharmacy. If you enroll in Medicare Advantage, you can choose a plan that covers medications if that fits your healthcare needs best.
Average Cost of Medicare Advantage in Birmingham, Alabama
There are about 231,000 beneficiaries in Birmingham that chose to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. There are many Medicare Advantage plans available in the area. There are around 37 Medicare Advantage plans available in Jefferson County alone.
Cigna Preferred Medicare (HMO) has a zero dollar monthly premium and a $5,000 out-of-pocket maximum. There is no copay to see your primary care doctor or specialist. There’s a $90 copay for emergency visits, but only a $20 copay at Urgent Care. This plan does come with prescription coverage. Tier 1 drugs start at $2 for a 30-day supply.
Another option is Wellcare Assist (HMO). This plan costs around $21 per month and has a MOOP of $4,500 in-network. You’ll have a $0 copay for a primary doctor and a $25 copay for a specialist. Tier 1 drugs start at $0 for a 30-day supply.
There’s also a HumanaChoice (PPO) plan that comes with a $26 dollar monthly premium. This plan has a $6,700 out-of-pocket maximum for in-network & $10,000 for out-of-network. There is a $10 copay to see your primary care doctor and a $40 copay to see a specialist as long as they are both in-network. Out-of-network will cost you 40% coinsurance for both PCP and specialist visits. Tier 1 drugs start at $4 for a 30-day supply.
|Plan||Premium||MOOP||Copays||Tier 1 Drugs|
|Cigna Preferred Medicare (HMO)||$0||$5,000||$0/$0||$2+|
|Wellcare Assist (HMO)||$21||$4,500||$0/$25||$0+|
Average Cost of Medigap Plans in Birmingham, Alabama
Medicare Supplement plans are standardized by the government. Meaning, the benefits do not change from state to state or carrier to carrier. The only thing that changes is the monthly premium. You’ll pay more or less in one state than another for the same letter plan even though the benefits will be the exact same.
The average cost for Medigap Plan G in the area runs between $115-$343 dollars a month. This is the most popular plan among beneficiaries because it only leaves you with the Part B deductible to pay. You’ll never have any coinsurance or copays.
If you’re looking for a lower premium without losing the benefits, then your next best option is Medigap Plan N. The average cost for Plan N in the area runs between $84-$242 a month. The main difference between Plan N & Plan G is that Plan N comes with a $20 copay at the doctor and a $50 copay at the emergency room. These copays are what you exchange for a lower monthly premium without losing benefits.
Another option is High-Deductible Plan G. The benefits are the exact same as the standard Plan G, however, it comes with a deductible. This deductible keeps your monthly premium significantly lower. If you have a rainy day fund and rather pay as you go instead of upfront, then this plan may be for you. The average cost for High Deductible Plan G in the area runs between $27-$76 a month.
The below examples are for a female that’s aging into Medicare at 65 in Birmingham.
Average Cost of Medicare Part D in Birmingham, Alabama
Since not all Medicare Advantage plans cover prescriptions, and no Medigap plans cover prescriptions, it’s important to enroll in a stand-alone Part D plan. A Part D plan can range anywhere between $6-$70 a month in Birmingham.
For example, a SilverScript SmartRx plan through Aetna will cost around $6.50 per month & has a $480 deductible. Cigna Extra Rx has a premium of $57 & has a $100 deductible. However, a Wellcare Medicare Rx Value Plus plan will cost around $68 per month but comes with a zero-dollar deductible.
|Cigna Extra Rx||$57||$100|
|Wellcare Medicare Rx Value Plus||$68||$0|
How to Sign Up for Supplemental Medicare in Birmingham, Alabama
Whether you want to enroll in Medigap, Part D, or Medicare Advantage, our licensed agents are here to help. They just need to collect some information from you to determine what supplemental Medicare plans are available in Birmingham, Alabama that will meet your healthcare needs. Give us a call, or complete our form to get rates.